Established In 1941
FIRE DEPARTMENT HISTORY
Livonia's Fire Department dates back to the days of the township. The department's first fire truck, a 500 gallon pumper, was delivered on November 1, 1941, and on December 7. 1941, the Department answered its first fire call. At that time township firefighters operated strictly on a voluntary basis, and the truck was housed in a gas station owned by Calvin Roberts, the present Chief. In 1945 the township's first fire station was built near the corner of Plymouth and Merriman roads, and remained in use until 1954 when the new fire station was built on Farmington road near Plymouth road. In 1947 the first full time fireman was hired, followed shortly in 1948 by the addition of a second fire truck and a second fire station at Seven Mile and Middlebelt. In 1952 the department purchased a new 1,000 gallon pumper, had 14 men, and added a third station by opening a station in the rear of the City Hall on Five Mile road.
In 1955 the Livonia Fire Department answered 515 alarms for the purpose of protecting the life and property of Livonia’s citizens. In contrast the township fire department had about 100 calls a year. These 515 alarms ranged from overheated oil stoves to large commercial fires, but no matter how trivial they seem, the hazardous condition exists and the Livonia Fire Department shall always stand ready to supply all the aid possible for the City of Livonia.
The operating unit of the Fire Department is the "Company." Each company consists of a small group of men, three to six under a company officer, operating one truck. A fire company is organized, equipped and trained for the definite function of locating the fire, extinguishing the fire, and overhauling the fire. Another very important unit of the Fire Department is the rescue company which is equipped for rescuing victims, providing first aid, supplying oxygen and resuscitation to people where needed, and to assist, if possible, the duties of the fireman at all large fires.
The Livonia Fire Department consists of three fire stations with plans for the eventual replacement of station No. 1 which is the old city hall, with a new Fire Headquarters building to be located in the proposed civic center. The department also boasts four engines, one rescue truck that is equipped with a resuscitator and emergency equipment, a fire inspector’s car for the fire prevention bureau, a panel car for use of on-duty lieutenants for their response to all alarms, and a Chief's car. All this motorized equipment is provided with two-way radios to provide complete contact with headquarters and all other equipment so that it can remain in service for as much time as possible.
Livonia's Fire Department is one of the largest full time, paid Fire Departments in the suburban area. It now has a total of 44 men, which consists of the Chief, two lieutenants, six sergeants and thirty-two firemen. It also has a Fire Prevention Bureau which has a lieutenant and two fire inspectors. With the proposed addition of six new men, this figure will soon grow to a total of fifty full-time men.
See Both Issues Of The Firemen's Ball From 1956 and 1957
Livonia's Firefighters Could Provide Basic First Aid
The livonia Fire Department has come a long way since those days, but we will never forget where we came from and especially those who lead the way to make it possible for us to serve our community doing the best job in the world.
Please take some time and enjoy these video montages from our past.
Visit Our Photo Gallary To See All Our Photos Past And Present
Page Last Updated: May 15, 2012 (14:29:48)