Livonia Professional Firefighters
IAFF Local 1164 - Serving The City Of Livonia Since 1941
  • November 17, 2017
    Member Login
    Username:

    Password:


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    << November 2017 >>
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30
    Site Search
    Site Map
    RSS Feeds
    Fire Fighters Assistance Program
    Confidential FFAP Hotline:  1.888.731.FIRE  Available 24/7 

    Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families

    Get answers to your questions and concerns.

    Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.

    Know your conversation is confidential.

    Get referrals to quality professional care.

    Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service. 

    PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

    • Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

    • Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

    • Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

    • Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

    • Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

    IAFF Local Newswire
     
    Join the Newswire!
    Updated: Nov. 17 (15:59)

    EMS UPDATE on Practical Continuing Education Requirements
    MPFFU
    union meeting 12/4/17
    IAFF Local 740
    IAFF Local 244 General Election
    Albuquerque Area Fire Fighters
    Exposed: Firefighters' risk of cancer is growing
    IAFF Local 1009
    2018 Shift Calendar
    Kent Fire Fighters
    Passing of FF Robert Campbell, Rescue 2, Retired
    IAFF Local 739
     
         
  • Today's homes burn faster than ever
    Posted On: Mar 23, 2012

    While we all know the dangers of an unwanted fire in your home, the numbers are staggering. A fire in your home can become untenable in less than three minutes. This is the amount of time you have to react and get out once a fire starts. That isn't much time. Preparation with safety items in your home and practice are the key to a safe survival.

    We have to be faster than our parents. Back in 1975, the average time for a fire to become untenable was 17 minutes. We are now looking at an 82-percent difference in the time to escape. It isn't just the type of house you live in, but what you put inside of it.

    The furniture of old was made largely of natural-based products. Today's furniture is synthetic-based, and our upholstered furniture and mattresses give off heat and smoke at a much faster rate. Polyurethane foam, making up our cushions and mattresses, is highly flammable.

    The homes of the past dozen years have included a more open floor plan, allowing fire and smoke to travel easily inside the home. The building materials used are much thinner and lead to a faster burn-through and collapse.

    Think about wooden blocks and dolls clothing made of scrap materials. Compare that to the plastic toys that are available in abundance today, and synthetic clothing for the dolls. Plastics are easy and economical to work with when making toys, but rarely do the manufacturers consider the high flammability of those products and the risk it puts to the families who buy them.

    The good news is that we are not dying in the large numbers that we did back then. The development of smoke alarm technology, and its widespread use, have given most families the time they need to exit their home in case of an unwanted fire.

    The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) tells us that 96 percent of U.S. homes have at least one smoke alarm, which is encouraging. The sad news is that the majority of fire deaths occur in homes that do not have a smoke alarm, or the one(s) they have do not work, usually because of dead or missing batteries.

    It may be difficult to go out and find toys and furnishings just like you had when you were a child to put in your home. Plastics and synthetics are here to stay, it seems.

    We can only encourage you to have plenty of working smoke alarms in your home. Test them once a month, change the batteries every year, and practice a fire escape plan twice a year. This includes how to escape your home from every way out in case fire is blocking your primary exit. You also need to meet at the outside family meeting place to conduct a head count of family members. Once outside, call 911 and tell first arriving firefighters if everyone is out or not. Hurry and do this — you may not have much time!

    Tom Kiurski is training coordinator for the Livonia Fire Department.


  • IAFF Local 1164

    Copyright © 2017.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive



  • Top of Page image