Confidential FFAP Hotline: 1.888.731.FIRE Available 24/7
Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families
Get answers to your questions and concerns.
Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.
Know your conversation is confidential.
Get referrals to quality professional care.
Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service.
PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.
• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.
• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.
It is with great sorrow that I share the news that former Livonia firefighter Paul Novicki passed away from the COVID-19 virus on April 9th.
He served with us from January until October in 2001.
He also had worked for Community EMS, Concord EMS, was a lieutenant at Huron Township Fire Department and was working for the last five years at Rapid Response Ambulance Company.
On March 13th he found out his ambulance partner (Rob Nemeth) was diagnosed with COVID-19. Later in the day Paul started to get sick. The health department told him to get tested for the virus so he did. March 25 they still had not received the results back. In the meantime Paul was getting sicker and sicker.
Eventually they had to call an ambulance to take him to the hospital. His oxygen levels were dangerously low. He was diagnosed with pneumonia, sedated and put on a ventilator. He was then transferred to the ICU in a larger hospital. When he got there they did a quick test and he was positive for COVID-19.
He succumbed to the virus on April 9th.
Arrangements are pending and being handled by Michigan Memorial Funeral Home (734) 783-2646.
There is a fundraiser to help his wife, Kristy at: