Livonia Professional Firefighters
IAFF Local 1164 - Serving The City Of Livonia Since 1941
  • November 17, 2017
    Member Login
    Username:

    Password:


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    << November 2017 >>
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30
    Site Search
    Site Map
    RSS Feeds
    Fire Fighters Assistance Program
    Confidential FFAP Hotline:  1.888.731.FIRE  Available 24/7 

    Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families

    Get answers to your questions and concerns.

    Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.

    Know your conversation is confidential.

    Get referrals to quality professional care.

    Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service. 

    PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

    • Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

    • Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

    • Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

    • Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

    • Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

    IAFF Local Newswire
     
    Join the Newswire!
    Updated: Nov. 17 (15:59)

    EMS UPDATE on Practical Continuing Education Requirements
    MPFFU
    union meeting 12/4/17
    IAFF Local 740
    IAFF Local 244 General Election
    Albuquerque Area Fire Fighters
    Exposed: Firefighters' risk of cancer is growing
    IAFF Local 1009
    2018 Shift Calendar
    Kent Fire Fighters
    Passing of FF Robert Campbell, Rescue 2, Retired
    IAFF Local 739
     
         
  • Holidays raise fire danger in your home
    Posted On: Dec 18, 2011

    Just a few days before Christmas in 1990, a Christmas tree in a Canton home burst into flames. The man tried to pull the burning tree out of the doorwall in the back of the home. The tree wedged in the doorwall and ignited nearby combustibles, quickly spreading the fire. He and his wife tried desperately to get their children out safely, but seven people died in that fire. The most probable cause of the fire was a string of lights wrapped around the tree.

    The holidays bring out an increased risk of fire. Decorations that may block doors, candles, space heaters, fires in the fireplace and in increase in cooking to feed the many visitors who stop by during this time of year can all be added risk in your home. Decorating your home is a great way to celebrate, but make sure you spend a few minutes to make the decorations as safe as possible.

    Space heaters and fireplaces need to be watched carefully. Keep space heaters on in rooms with adult supervision. If you have to leave the room, turn off the heater.

    Fireplaces, like heaters, need space and plenty of it. Keep combustible materials three feet away from heaters and fireplaces, and make sure the fireplace has a screen in place that will catch any flying embers. Have the fireplace cleaned and inspected annually.

    Candles are a way of celebrating the season, but even those small flames can be responsible for large fires. Place candles in holders that won't tip over and can catch the wax as it burns. Keep candles out of the path of travel to avoid bumping into them and keep them away from combustibles and their path. For example, make sure curtains, drapes and sheers will not blow into candles.

    Holiday lighting is a sure sign of the season, but what has happened to the lights since you put them away after last season? Pull out strings of lights and plug them in to check for burning, cracks or frayed and exposed wires. If you have any problems, discard them and replace them with a new set. Use indoor lights inside and outdoor lighting outside the home, and avoid placing electrical wiring under rugs where it can create a trip hazard and risk being overheated.

    Christmas trees should not block paths in and out of the home. Real trees should be watered to keep as much moisture in the tree as possible, and artificial trees should be flame-retardant. Keep trees well away from space heaters, fireplaces and the open flames of candles in the home.

    When cooking and baking begin, we need to move children well away from the cooking area. Establish a “no play” zone around cooking areas during cooking and baking.

    Avoid placing combustible materials such as towels and pot holders on or close to the stove and never leave cooking food unattended. If you must leave the cooking area momentarily, bring a spoon or pot holder with you to remind you to return to it. You may also set the kitchen timer as a reminder.

    The holidays can be a festive time of year. Just a few minutes of safety can help make your holidays safe as well.

    Tom Kiurski is training coordinator for the Livonia Fire Department.


  • IAFF Local 1164

    Copyright © 2017.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive



  • Top of Page image