Livonia Professional Firefighters
IAFF Local 1164 - Serving The City Of Livonia Since 1941
  • February 23, 2019
    Member Login


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    Upcoming Events
    General Meeting
    Feb 25, 2019
    Station 1
    John Orzech and Mike Kelly Retirement
    Feb 26, 2019
    John Orzech and Mike Kelly Retirement
    Feb 27, 2019
    One Under
    Executive Board Meeting
    Mar 13, 2019
    Station 5
    Charity Bowling Event
    May 11, 2019
    Merri-bowl Lanes
    << February 2019 >>
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28
    Asbestos Safety

    Fire Fighters Assistance Program
    Confidential FFAP Hotline:  1.888.731.FIRE  Available 24/7 

    Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families

    Get answers to your questions and concerns.

    Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.

    Know your conversation is confidential.

    Get referrals to quality professional care.

    Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service. 


    • Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

    • Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

    • Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

    • Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

    • Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

    IAFF Local Newswire
    Join the Newswire!
    Updated: Feb. 23 (17:10)

    2019 KSCFF 74th Annual Meeting
    Kansas State Council of Fire Fighters
    Geneva Way Structure Fire
    South Metro Firefighters IAFF LOCAL 2086
    Friday Update 2-22-19
    IAFF Local 1014
    Cambridge Fire Fighters
    Peer Fitness Class
    IAFF Local 2866
    Local 21 Regrets To Announce The Passing Of Retired District Chief Dean Baerenwald
    IAFF Local 21
  • Carbon monoxide alarms are inexpensive safeguard
    Updated On: Oct 07, 2010

    Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and - in the case of an elderly Florida couple recently - deadly. A husband and wife were discovered dead in their Florida home recently. The cause of death is carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Carbon monoxide is created when gas-fueled appliances, such as hot water heaters, furnaces and stoves, burn the gas fuel incompletely. There are fuel problems or system problems that can lead to the gas not burning completely and not venting the gas outside of the building. This is why it is so important to have carbon monoxide alarms inside every home. While there are many types of carbon monoxide alarms, many with additional features besides detecting the gas, the bottom line is that for about $25, you can save your life and the lives of those who live and stay at your home.

    Gasoline-powered engines, barbecue grills and home fireplaces are other possible sources of carbon monoxide in the home. If you have a generator that you run during power outages, the carbon monoxide can leak into your home if you place it too close to your home.

    Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very similar to flu symptoms, which can include headaches and nausea. If the whole family has the exact symptoms at the same time, you may need to consider carbon monoxide poisoning. Get everyone outside of the home and call your Livonia firefighters to investigate. Carbon monoxide can also lead to feelings of laziness and sleepiness, which can be a major problem if you are in an atmosphere with carbon monoxide. This is why it is important to get outside where you can think clearly.

    In July, a Maryland family had a close call, after leaving their generator running inside an enclosed porch. The family got out of the home and drove to the fire station to report their sickness, which peaked when the home's carbon monoxide alarms started sounding. Luckily, they took action and got out alive.

    Read the instructions that come with your carbon monoxide alarm, as some are designed for installation on the ceiling or high on the wall, similar to your smoke alarms. Other carbon monoxide alarms are units that plug into an electrical outlet and run off the electricity in the home. They should also be tested monthly so you can check them when you are checking your smoke alarms. If your alarm runs off electricity, it may have a battery backup to keep it active in case of power outages. If your carbon monoxide alarm runs on a battery, it needs to be replaced annually. Again, you can replace it when you replace your smoke alarm batteries.

    If you are not sure why your alarm might be going off, or if you suspect carbon monoxide or smoke may be in your home, call your Livonia firefighters out to check it out.

    Tom Kiurski is training coordinator for the Livonia Fire Department.


  • IAFF Local 1164

    Copyright © 2019.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive

  • Top of Page image