Livonia Professional Firefighters
IAFF Local 1164 - Serving The City Of Livonia Since 1941
  • November 17, 2017
    Member Login
    Username:

    Password:


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    << November 2017 >>
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30
    Site Search
    Site Map
    RSS Feeds
    Fire Fighters Assistance Program
    Confidential FFAP Hotline:  1.888.731.FIRE  Available 24/7 

    Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families

    Get answers to your questions and concerns.

    Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.

    Know your conversation is confidential.

    Get referrals to quality professional care.

    Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service. 

    PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

    • Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

    • Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

    • Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

    • Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

    • Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

    IAFF Local Newswire
     
    Join the Newswire!
    Updated: Nov. 17 (15:59)

    EMS UPDATE on Practical Continuing Education Requirements
    MPFFU
    union meeting 12/4/17
    IAFF Local 740
    IAFF Local 244 General Election
    Albuquerque Area Fire Fighters
    Exposed: Firefighters' risk of cancer is growing
    IAFF Local 1009
    2018 Shift Calendar
    Kent Fire Fighters
    Passing of FF Robert Campbell, Rescue 2, Retired
    IAFF Local 739
     
         
  • These fire safety tips can save your life
    Updated On: Feb 16, 2012

    Fires in homes tend to peak in the cooler months as people spend more time indoors and home heating systems are up and operating. Statistics from the U.S. Fire Administration show an annual average of $7 billion in property loss from residential fires, and an average of seven people die as a result of home fires every day in the United States. There are some safety tips that you can practice that can reduce your risk of home fires.

    • Install and maintain smoke alarms in your home. While 96 percent of U.S. homes have at least one smoke alarm, almost two-thirds of home fire deaths occur in homes with no working smoke alarms. Be sure to have at least one on every level in the home, outside sleeping areas and in bedrooms for added safety.
    • Take the time to make your kitchen fire safe. Cooking is the leading cause of home structure fires and home fire injuries. Never leave cooking unattended, turn pot handles in toward the center of the stove to avoid bumping and/or pulling them down and keep the lid to the pan nearby so you can slide the lid and cover unwanted cooking fires if they do occur.
    • Have your chimney cleaned and your heating system checked before the heating season kicks into high gear. In addition to preventing chimney fires, this cleaning can also prevent carbon monoxide from entering your home's living spaces. But just in case, have carbon monoxide detectors installed in the home as well.
    • Illuminate yourself about electrical safety. Don't overload electrical circuits and don't use extension cords for permanent wiring. Check the wires on seasonal decorations prior to use for any cracks or fraying that may start a fire. Replace worn cords with new, approved ones. Use approved indoor lights inside the home and outdoor lights outside.
    • If you do have an unwanted home fire, the first priority is escape. Get everyone out of the house and call 911 from outside the home. Never re-enter a burning building, and inform the first-arriving fire crews of any missing people and where you think the fire may have started, if you know.
    • When you leave the home for work or school, get into the habit of checking the appliances to be sure they are off. Unplug small heating appliances after use, such as irons, hair dryers and space heaters. Repeat this safety check before going to bed as well.
    • Clean the lint filter and flue of your clothes dryer on a regular basis. The lint buildup is responsible for many home fires, and a lint-free dryer works more efficiently as well.
    • Candles should be used in rooms where adults can supervise them, and should be clear of the normal travel paths in the home. Keep a one-foot clearance around the flame, and that includes any blowing or moving shears or blinds that may move into the flame when heating systems turn on or doors are opened and closed.

      Fire safety in the home just takes a few minutes, and can avoid months of heartache in the case of displaced families who may suffer from an unwanted home fire.

      Tom Kiurski is training coordinator for the Livonia Fire Department.


  • IAFF Local 1164

    Copyright © 2017.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive



  • Top of Page image